<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Chivalry

Today was Matthew's Medieval Open House at school. They've been studying castles and fairy tales and other assorted knights and stuff. Today was the day to show off the projects they'd made, the costumes they'd created for themselves (Matthew was designated a knight), and to put on a tournament for the parents in the gym.

I wasn't able to go. I had a study scheduled from 9:00, so Ross had to drop me and Tessa off and quickly head back to school. I was so pissed that I missed it, because the subject ended up smoking on the way here (they are supposed to remain abstinent from midnight till the study starts), so we had to cancel anyway. By that time, it was too late for Ross to come back to get me and I had no way of getting over there.

I called Ross later to see how it had gone. It did not go well. Ross got caught in traffic on the way back to school, and had trouble finding a place to park, so by the time he got there, there was little time for Matthew to show him his project (a castle made out of blocks) and adequately explain to him all the facets of castles he had planned to share. The teacher told everyone it was time to stop and go out for the tournament, and Matthew totally melted down.

Ross tried to get him to go out with the other children, but he was past the point of return. Finally Ross and Matthew went back to the classroom themselves and spent an hour there. Matthew calmed down and was able to continue his explanation of his project, so he was happy in the end. Ross was pretty frazzled, but it ended up okay.

In the afternoon, I went home with them so that I could drop them off and have the car to bring Tessa and myself home (we do this so Matthew won't have to be coaxed out of the house again at 5:00). I asked Matthew how his day had been. He said it was fine, and nothing about the open house. He did tell me he had a present for me.

It was a bracelet, made out of beads he had found in the aftercare room. He wanted me to have it because I was the best mom in the world. In doing so, he lifted me out of my sadness over not being at his school function, absolved me of the guilt that maybe if I'd been there, he wouldn't have had such a bad episode.

A true knight indeed.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com