<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Goodbye, Belmont, Massachussetts

Today is Matthew's last day of school. I think I'm way sadder than he is, not surprisingly. I gave his teacher a hug yesterday as I picked him up, since I won't see her today. She was so wonderful. Now she's off to Vietnam for two years! Should be interesting for a young woman from the Midwest :).

I spent a lot of time this year complaining, and now I'm sad it's over. Yeah, my job was crappy, there were a lot of problems with getting Matthew acclimated to his school, with getting Tessa acclimated to daycare. But I love the house we live in, even if it's not ours; I LOVE this area. I love Boston, which is close enough to access the museums and beautiful neighborhoods, but far enough away that we avoid the horrific traffic.

I spent way too much time this year just getting by. I wish I had enjoyed it more while it was happening. The kids spent way too much time sitting around the house watching TV, especially in the winter, which I guess was unavoidable. I'm going to make MUCH more of an effort in the coming year, at Matthew's new school and in our neighborhood, getting to know people. I feel slightly more mentally healthy, slightly less socially phobic. I'm still a mess, but I'm going to try harder. I owe it to the kids, both Matthew who needs a catalyst for developing friendships, and Tessa, who is a social butterfly.

Packing continues apace, with more to be done. It's that tricky time of wanting to get everything in boxes, but having a few days left when things are needed for general use. After the initial push of packing, I feel sluggish, uncertain about what to pack next. I'm just sad, sad to be leaving. And of course my period has come four days early, no doubt brought on by the stress! Ugh, hormonal surge, last minute packing, and my last days at work.

Thursday is my last day, Tessa's last day at daycare, and the movers come. When she and I come home in the evening, all our stuff will be gone (other than the stuff that we're bringing with us to CA). I think she's going to have a hard time with it. I know I am. Then on Friday we'll clean the house and drive away, to spend the weekend in NY before leaving on Tuesday for CA. I feel badly that Tessa's third birthday will fall in the middle of this weird transitory period, on Sunday. My baby's third birthday, overshadowed by this move (Ross' 38th birthday will be on Saturday, but he doesn't care that it's overshadowed :)). She spent her third year here; it's the only home she remembers. And now it's no longer her home.

I'll be fine, consumed with business as everything comes down to the wire, but I'm taking a little break and letting myself be maudlin. Goodbye, Belmont, MA. You were a good place to spend 10 and a half months.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com