<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Labels

I was informed by the sig of a woman on my Gymboree forum that April is Autism Awareness Month. I was not aware of that. I have noticed the new "ribbon" sticker for Autism Awareness on the backs of cars: the same size and shape as the yellow "Support Our Troops" stickers that have become ubiquitous, with a pattern of multi-colored puzzle pieces.

Matthew's "official" diagnosis is autism now. It's been that way since we lived in MA, where they put a diagnosis of autism into his school file, without consulting us first. That may have upset some people, but I was glad, actually, since it meant he got services immediately. With an official diagnosis of Asperger's, he wouldn't have, and it would have been a major pain in the ass to petition for services. When we moved to NY, they simply took the diagnosis off his old IEP from MA. Again, I was glad, since it meant instant services.

I've even referred to him recently as autistic (trying to explain to the receptionist at the dentist about why he was screaming so much while he was getting his teeth cleaned). It's easy for me to say now. It didn't used to be. I spent over two years explaining to people (when I needed to) "He has Asperger's Syndrome," and in response to the often blank look, "which is a form of autism."

A form of. Like he qualified for some kind of disability loophole and wasn't *really* autistic.

It's getting better, but even with the rise in Autism Awareness, people still think Rain Man when they hear autistic. And so many people fight the "labelling" of the diagnosis to the hilt. And many people find it a terribly hard diagnosis to hear. One of the most well-informed people (with regard to autism) I ever met told me that her heart fell when she heard that diagnosis attached to her daughter.

"Can't it be Asperger's? Can't it be PDD?," she had asked the psychiatrist, who answered her gently, "This is the diagnosis you want."

Because even with the rise in Autism Awareness, the powers that be often don't get the concept of a spectrum, and being on it doesn't always qualify a child for services. I actually don't fault them all that much for that. Resources are scarce and precious, and where do you make the cut off of who gets services and who does not?

Hence, the labels. Some people say they can't stand their children being labeled, but frankly I don't give a damn. They could call him a blueberry for all I care, as long as he keeps getting OT and ST and a wonderful aide to help him navigate the treacherous waters of life outside the house. (WOW, what made me say blueberry? Shades of Violet Beauregard in Willy Wonka?? Oh well, that's an analysis for another day.)

Happy Autism Awareness Month. Here's to all our little puzzles and to helping them put all their pieces together.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com