<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, December 22, 2005

And a Happy New Year...

Ooookeeeee, can't end the year with a post entitled "Snot," so I will post again before taking off for CA. I wish everyone the happiest of holiday*s* (screw you, Bill O'Reilly!) and a wonderful 2006.

I've been rushing around like a maniac for over a month now, shopping for shit to ebay, packing up packages, running from store to store for stuff for my own kids (HOW many times did I go to TRU and Target? I can't count!). I've been exhausted. And in the midst of it I haven't had time enjoy the season, which happens every damn year.

I LOVE Christmas. I LOVE decorations and all the corny trappings. I LOVE seeing lights on people's houses and even the incredibly cheesy lawn decorations that pepper the landscape around here. I LOVE shopping for the perfect gifts for people.

Somehow I always get in such a tizzy that I don't get to enjoy it. One big problem is that every year we're coming from someplace else to CA, so it's like things are on hold till we get there, and then it's just a day or two till Christmas, then it's over. I don't get my Christmas season. And this year I was just way too wrapped up in ebaying.

But yesterday, as I rushed around for the last time before we leave, something happened. I was running to Office Max to get Matthew's teacher a gift card, then running to the bank to get cash and deposit the last money order I received, then I realized I had like 20 minutes before I had to leave to pick up Tessa. Hmmm, free time? What the hell is that?

So I wandered around a bit, looked in Barnes and Noble, looked at the decorations around the stores. And I entered this brief, blissful state, in which I felt SO HAPPY that there were shiny gold and red balls on a big fake tree, and it was warm inside and smelled like peppermint. Being completely non-religious, this is what Christmas means to me. And I felt it.

So Happy Holiday*s* to all, and I'll see you on the other side of the new year.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com