<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow Day

It's the first snow day of the year! We got our first real snow (maybe 4 inches) on Sunday, but today it is SNOWING. School closed, the whole nine yards. It's been snowing for about 7 hours now and the tires of the car are more than half buried. I don't think we're going out today...

I got up at the usual time this morning and stumbled out in the usual way, careful not to wake Tessa next to me (despite the fact that she kept me up much of the night tossing and flailing, also as usual). Matthew was still in bed, but wide awake, and we moved to the livingroom together. I flipped on the TV, clicked to the school district's public access channel, and there they were, the magic words: "SCHOOLS CLOSED TODAY DUE TO HAZARDOUS WEATHER."
"Okay Matthew, no school today," I said. He was thrilled, as was to be expected.

I grew up in Cali., read about snow days, saw kids being thrilled at having snow days on TV. I never knew that thrill, the feeling of reprieve, like getting the call from the governor. Tessa doesn't care all that much, but Matthew is so happy to be still in jammies and playing video games and running around the house, on a school day. I'm just wondering how we'll survive the day stuck inside the house!

I did tell Tessa we'd go out and play in the snow when it finally stopped snowing, though I'm going to have to struggle out to the car and get her snowpants and boots, which are in a bag after having gone to nursery school with her this week. Who knows when it'll stop anyway, as it's still coming down hard, in those tremendous, huge flakes that look like feathers.

I'd just as soon stay inside. I love love love a thick blanket of snow, covering the trees, burying the sidewalks, looking so pristine and beautiful. As long as I can look at it from our big picture window, and not have to get all cold and wet. Me and Matthew, we're the California kids still.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com