<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Sunday, April 30, 2006

As God is My Witness, I WILL Blog Again!!

Okay, I'm agnostic. But I liked the sound of that title.

What happened? I was all fired up to blog regularly again and I so fell down on the job, yet again. So, here's the latest litany of excuses (drumroll please...):

Um, we were about to go into spring break. Then we were on spring break. Then I had to ebay a lot because I didn't ebay during spring break and I needed to raise some cash, fast, to pay my Visa bill. Then we were absolutely stricken with allergies from hades, which left me in a haze (yellow green rather than purple, which would have been much prettier). Then Matthew got deathly ill for a couple of days (during which he ran a 104.8 fever). Which pretty much brings us up to today.

During that time, there were several things I thought to write about. One of them was particularly interesting (to me), particularly pithy. Something about the kids, and their impact on me, on my self-identity......shit, I can't remember. But it was interesting, trust me.

All I know is that tomorrow is May. It's really spring, as evidenced by the baby green leaves on the trees (and burgeoning blossoms). It struck me as so odd yesterday, that there were leaves on the trees that were not there two weeks ago, yet it seems perfectly normal for them to have leaves. Just as a month ago, it seemed perfectly normal for them to be bare. The human mind does this weird trick on itself, by which the current state of things is always felt to be the norm. I guess the problem arises when the paradigm shifts and the mind refuses to go along, and there's that uncomfortable grinding of the gears.

Anyway, we are in spring, and it's beautiful, but hard to enjoy since it's made us so incredibly miserable. This is the worst allergy season in a decade, and we live on a street lined with oak trees (oak being particularly allergenic). Having lived in CA for so long, it got tiresome listening to people from elsewhere bemoan the lack of "real" seasons there, but I gotta say, given the choice between "real" seasons and far fewer allergens, give me the barren L.A. basin. Plus, that whole "never gets too hot or too cold or too humid" thing really has a lot going for it too.

Well here I am, talking about the weather again. The weather and the kids, the kids and the weather. Here I am, two months and two days from turning 40 years old, and that's all I can find to talk about.

Oh, about the kids. Today we went to ToysRUs to cajole the kids out of the house (Matthew is still feeling quite off after having been so sick, though he had one of his characteristic quick recoveries). Tessa couldn't decide on what "little" toy she wanted to get (as opposed to a "big" toy that cost over $10. She did come to realize that the actual size of toys does not always have bearing on how much they cost). She found a Dream Dazzler makeup set that was $1.97 and absolutely flipped. She's been wanting a makeup kit forever and though I really am not thrilled with her having even pretend makeup, I was thrilled with the price tag (yay parenting values!). Then she ran around outside absolutely waxing rhapsodic over this makeup kit. She even cradled it in her hands and sang to it. At one point walking back to the car she handed it to me and asked, "Will you hold my baby for a second?" I'm a big fan of making my children happy, but this was a little disturbing.

Ugh, said child is now wailing about something, so that's all the blogging for now. Hopefully it will not be 23 days before I do so again.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com