<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My Belated Mother's Day Present

I found a handmade "coupon book" in Matthew's backpack today, in one of the pockets he doesn't usually use so I never look in there. On the cover in green crayon (green being my favorite color) was written "Happy Mother's Day" with lots of hearts.

Inside was a series of coupons, each page saying "This entitles you to" and a special gift to be redeemed.

1. extra long nap
2. 1 clean up of my collection of 500 trading cards
3. 50 big hugs
4. I will babysit Tessa for 1 hour
5. We will not use couch cushions for a pillow fight

All written in green crayon.

On the Friday before Mother's Day, Matthew asked me, "Mommy, what do you like?"

I knew why he was asking, so I smiled and said, "I like flowers." The next day as we were in Zabar's in the city he "secretly" picked out some pink roses and Ross bought them. He was so proud to give them to me later. I told this story to several people, saying that I guessed he's reached the point in which teachers don't have the kids make Mother's Day presents anymore, so he was somewhat at a loss as to what to give me.

And yet he had made this wonderful, precious gift himself at school. I asked him today why he hadn't given it to me, and he answered, "I didn't finish it."

The very last page in the book was blank. My poor perfectionist; he worked so hard but couldn't give it to me because he hadn't filled out the very last page. He wanted it to be perfect.

Now there's a Mother's Day present for me.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com