<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Wednesday, October 25, 2006



Falling into Fall

So it's really fall now, complete with cold snap and brilliant colors and maniacal squirrels scurrying around trying to lay in stores for the winter.

I love fall here on the east coast. It's my favorite thing about the east coast. I'd love spring, with all the gorgeous flowers and tree blossoms and everything green and new again. However, that has become the Time of the Suffering, as in seasonal allergies, and we are all so miserable that it's hard to enjoy the prettiness outside. So I'm a fall foliage fan.

For the last few years, fall also marked a much less desirable trend, the time during which Matthew would have his annual school freak-out. October and November were always the worst part of the year. So this year in my infinite wisdom I was determined to try and do something to circumvent this trend, so I packed us off to the child psychiatrist. Of course, this backfired somewhat, as she ordered us to the child neurologist and a slew of hardcore tests, which were naturally disconcerting to Matthew. So much for easing him into a new year.

But the good news is that he's been doing really well. No major behavioral issues in class, despite the fact that they STILL have not gotten him the one to one aide he is supposed to have, per his IEP. The class aides have been working with him, as well as the inclusion teacher who is there half the day, but I don't feel that's fair to his teacher or to the rest of the class. However, after I finally jumped (via email; I'm such a wimp) on the assistant principal, she promised his aide would be in place this week.

I'm so pleased that this fall is shaping up nicely, as we approach the end of October. Matthew is happily reading chapter books for the first time, is telling me about stuff that happened at school for the very first time in his life (and I mean EVER, like since he started "school" at 20 months).

I hope this means everything is falling into place.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com