<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Day to be Thankful For (Okay, I ended with a preposition)

Despite rain and very heavy traffic, we made our way to a lovely family Thanksgiving gathering. It wasn't *our* family, but we felt as welcome as if it was :).

This is yet another example of the awesome (as in, inspiring awe) power of the August List. How is it that I am lucky enough to have a friend, whom I had never met face to face, invite me and my whole family to her parents' home for Thanksgiving dinner? How can a person care so much about someone who has only been words on a computer screen, and an occasional picture on MyFamily, that she would offer to share one of the most intimate, most classic family traditions of the year?

Well, the beautiful Amy seems to care that much about me, because she did :). And I'm so glad she did, and I'm so glad I accepted (I'd had a bit of trepidation about Matthew being in a group of people he didn't know), because it was a wonderful party. Everyone was *so* incredibly nice and friendly and we all had such a great time.

I barely saw Tessa the whole time, as she immediately latched onto her new friends and they were out of sight most of the afternoon/evening. Matthew had a fantastic time, right from the beginning, when Rebekah looked at what he was playing on his DS and said, "You have Pokemon Ranger! You're so lucky!" With that, he suddenly became the focus of attention, and he enjoyed it immensely. He sat on the couch and the other kids watched him play and were impressed by his prowess, which is pretty much his idea of the perfect day.

Which left me wonderfully free to sit and talk and talk with Amy and her family, and it was such a delight. That Auggie magic happened, in which it didn't seem the slightest bit unusual to be talking in person with Amy, because I was as comfortable as if we'd sat side by side and talked and laughed together for all of the ten years we've known each other.

So I'm thankful for the friendship, and the family, that we got to partake in today. Thank you Amy, and thanks to your sweet family for sharing your Thanksgiving with us. It was a delight!
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com