<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Fleetwood Mac Reprise?

Can you hear it, just a little?

Don't stop, thinkin' about tomorrow.
Don't stop, it'll soon be here.
It'll be here, better than before.
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.

I'm having slight flashbacks to 1992, and Bill and Hill up on stage with Stevie Nicks, and everyone was singing that Fleetwood Mac song. And it was EXUBERANT. I was sitting in Honolulu watching the returns with Ross and our dear friend Scott, and we had taken back the White House. I'll never forget the feeling.

Ross and I had just come off a year-long sojourn in Washington, D.C. and the hallowed halls of Congress. Lots of our friends went to the Democratic National Convention that year. My friend Joel had been campaigning for Clinton since the early spring, riding school buses to other states, sleeping on floors here and there, canvassing.

I was a staff assistant for the Honorable Edward R. Roybal (D-Pasadena) and I saw firsthand what went down in Congress. It was even sicker than people think (and it's even sicker now, according to friends who are still there). Bush the Elder was President then, and things get ugly when you have divided government.

But hell, I'll take that ugly over the ugly we've had with all-Republican rule. I know how important it is to have control of Congress, because the party in power gets to chair committees, and the chairpersons get to set the agendas. Gawd, it'll be good to have Henry Waxman back as Chair of the Health and Human Services Subcommittee. Sure, Bush is going to make it ugly, but I think the Dems are finally ready to say, Bring it on, after all this time of stumbling in the wilderness.

Just please, don't let them squander this chance. We all remember how the jubilation got cut short in 1994.

Ooooo, don'tcha look baaaack.
Ooooo, don'tcha look baaaack.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com