<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Monday, November 27, 2006

Love of Stuff

Urgh, missed another day posting yesterday. Well, I already fucked up the NaPoMo, so what's another missed day? Especially, as I've already noted, I was trying to post everyday for no one but myself, and I'm well accustomed to failing me.

But here I am, back to posting, on my newwwww computer :) (said in that upbeat, punchy, 70s game show announcer voice). I heart this computer. I was editing my eBay pictures that I took yesterday using iPhoto and almost cried at how wonderful it was. I've been struggling mightily in the desert of PC lameness for so long now, and feel like I've reached the promise land.

I've also been loving my newwwwwww car (also said in that "come on down!" voice, which Tessa has adopted perfectly. She'll say "We're going there for the first time in our (pause) NEWWWWWWWW CAR!!!") It handles like a dream, feels so good and luxurious, has so many *cool* bells and whistles. I totally totally heart my Outback. My old Passat was a timebomb literally about to go off, and I was so happy that the dealer bought it from us, because I did not want to be responsible for passing that car off to another consumer.

But in the midst of all this, I'm wondering what the hell we're doing, buying these big ticket items right now. It's right before the holidays (have spent much to bring gladness to our loved ones), and we spent $1600 on plane tickets to go back to CA. The trip was supposed to be our Christmas present. So I can't say this computer was our present to ourselves.

Yes, I could say we NEEDED a new car, but our old car did in fact still run and get us from place to place. I could say we NEEDED a new computer, since our laptop died and our desktop is a piece of shit that takes 5 full minutes to boot, but that POS does still work and still performs the minimum functions necessary for my eBaying, which is truly the only activity I can say is absolutely necessary as far as computer needs go around here. And both the computer and the car are fairly luxurious in relative terms. We could have bought a much cheaper car and spent $10K less, and could have bought a cheap PC rather than a Mac and spent half the money.

I sort of pride myself on being thrifty, being the bargain shopper, so luxury is usually not on the table. Plus we've been struggling on the edge of financial solvency for so long, with no savings whatsoever. Shouldn't we be saving to, like, buy a house someday?

Probably, but for now I love my new stuff.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com