<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Madame Speaker

One of the most remarkable things to come out of this truly remarkable election, of course, is Nancy Pelosi emerging as the first female Speaker of the House. I'm having trouble with Madame Speaker, though. Why can't they have a more neutral substitution for Mister Speaker (Your Speakership, Your Speakerhood, Speaker-ee-no)?

Madame makes her sound like she's running a whorehouse. (Which I guess she is! Ba-dum ching!)

I'm also already sick (and it's just started) of hearing people talk about her "style" in such negative terms, things they would NEVER say about a man. Yeah, we've all heard these terms a gazillion times in regard to female politicians and female corporate executives. Men are "decisive" and "tough negotiators" and women are "bitchy" and "hard to get along with."

I know Pelosi may not be everyone's cup of tea politically, but to slam her for being a strong person sucks.

The capper for me was on Election Night (I NEVER EVER watch cable pundits, since they make me want to throw things at the TV and we can't afford a new one) when Chris Matthews was on with some analyst, asking him what "Nancy Pelosi can do to appear less strident..." She had just delivered her speech following the announcement that the Dems had taken the House and Chris Matthews said she had sounded "like nails on a chalkboard." It's been awhile since I was so pissed.

You've come a long way, baby. But apparently there are people who are still going to call you a bitch.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com