<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

No Counting, No Chickens, Nothing Hatched!!

I have spent the last couple of weeks not allowing myself to get excited. 'Cause dude, I've been burned before. I just couldn't handle the heartache of letting myself hope too much, only to have those hopes dashed.

Projections of the election have been so headily rosy for the Dems, and Ross has been following it all very closely, so I've heard a lot secondhand. He has been checking Pollster.com, like every 15 seconds, the last few days. He keeps filling me in on various developments, on various polls and projections, with a kind of stunned wonder in his voice.

But you see, I was really sure that Bush wasn't going to gain (we won't say "win") the presidency (both times) and umm, he did. I swear I still have not recovered from 2004.

So I spent the day, not glued to early returns, but instead at the mall with my kids. We got their holiday portraits taken (the BEST portraits they've ever taken, YAY!!! Usually I'm hard pressed to choose one vaguely acceptable pose, in order to have portraits to dispense to the grandparents for Christmas, but this time there were MULTIPLE good ones! Of course, one kid always looks better in a particular shot than the other, so there's one where Matthew looks fabulous and Tessa's bow is crooked, and one where Tessa looks divine and Matthew's got a sort of funny look on his face, but that's okay. I even bought their individual shots, as insurance in case their school pictures, taken two weeks ago, suck). We had lunch. We went to some shops. Tessa fell down while spinning on a stool at Picture People and was tearful, so we went and had ice cream. Tessa dropped the ice cream off her cone and we had to stand in line again to beg a replacement. Then she ate it and everything was all better.

Then we went to vote. They came into the little curtained cubicle with me and I cast my hopes for a better day. They kept wanting to know why I was only picking names from the same line :).

So I'll wait, and there will be no counting of any kind of poultry before they are suitably decanted, and I will tell myself not to hope too much.

But of course the hope is there, in my heart.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com