<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Friday, January 26, 2007

Heyyyy Youuuuu GUYYYYYYSSSSSS!

I said that just to put the theme song for The Electric Company into your head, all you children of the '70s like me. I was actually singing that for Tessa the other night, after she mentioned something about electricity. Despite not knowing the song, she joined in (because it's impossible for her not to be part of a show!), punctuating points in the song with interjections of "Hey!"

But that has nothing to do with the actual topic of this post, which is guys.

I broke down yesterday and went to see a doctor. I actually managed to find an urgent care center attached to a medical group office, which was fabulous because I had been under the impression that there was no such creature in NY. Final word from the doctor: no strep, no ear infection. So that's good, though I remain chagrined that I've been complaining so much about "just a cold." He prescribed Nasonex for my congestion, so I didn't walk out empty handed.

And actually I had a really great conversation with him! He was taken aback from the start, as he was taking my medical history, when he asked me if anyone around me had been sick. I replied that my daughter had had a cold last week, so she had probably vectored it to me.

"What did you say?," he asked, sort of startled.

"My daughter must have vectored her cold to me," I repeated.

He asked me what I did for a living, and I laughingly said I'm a stay at home mom. He laughed and said that he's never had a patient say they had an illness "vectored" to them. He took the rest of my history and repeatedly was surprised that I replied in ways that are standard on medical histories. Then after my exam we talked a bit about my research and about smoking addiction.

It really reminded me how much I miss talking to people about "real" stuff, and how much I miss guys. I know that sounds funny, but all my life, most of my best friends have been male, and now I don't have any male friends close by. All the parents I meet through the kids' school and activities are all moms, so I just don't have any way of meeting men :p.

Someone once told me that there's something special about being a "guy girl," the kind of girl who gets along well with guys. They tend to be either jocks or hussies, she said. The jock girls can play sports and drink beer and feel like one of the guys, while the hussies (who don't really want to sleep with their guy friends) understand and appreciate "guyness," are more in tune with the underlying sexuality of life the way guys are, and are more comfortable because guys are not their competitors for other guys. Being with guys doesn't make the "guy girl" feel inferior in any way, and the girl can enjoy friendship on a more easy-going level. Most of all, the hussy enjoys exclusive attention from guys (in a non-sexual way).

Naturally I'm more in the hussy camp than the jock camp, since I couldn't play any sport if my literal life depended on it (though I am passionate about NCAA basketball, and beer :)). I've always relished being the one girl in a group of guys, and tended to try and "outguy" them when it came to swearing and talking about sex. They would be "my boys."

I really miss having boys.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com