<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Election Day

Today is Election Day, and my kids had the day off from school. Never have I heard of a place where kids get Election Day off (though I believe they're just calling it the vague Curriculum Development moniker that gets pinned to seemingly random days off). It was a really "minor" Election Day, in that there are no major elections, just judge confirmations and common council seats.

I did take the kids with me to vote, though, as I do every year. I bring them in the little curtained booth with me, which always intrigues them. They watched me push the little levers, and got their annual civics lesson. I probably wouldn't have even bothered to go vote if they weren't home today, but I want to impart to them the importance of being an involved citizen, and I want them to see some "reason" for why they didn't have to go to school today.

I just can't think of Election Day without thinking of Erection Day. I'm not making a Japanese joke here, though it actually does become one. That whole L/R cliche really does exist, since the comparable Japanese sound is somewhere between those two sounds. So when we lived in Japan, people would cheerfully tell me it was Erection Day. One of my students was clued into it enough to make a deliberate joke, which I found hysterical (despite the inappropriateness).

Anyway, have a Happy Erection Day!
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com