<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Welcome to Our World of Toys

FAO Schwarz used to have a big clock in the front of its store (I'm talking about the flagship store across from the Plaza Hotel, though I know they had smaller versions of the clock in all their stores), that played this incredibly insipid song:

"There's a clock tick-tock
where the children play.
And the (something something) takes our cares away.
(Something something something something something...)
Welcome to our world of toys!
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world of toys!
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world
Welcome to--our world--of--TOYS!!!"

Lather, rinse, repeat, ad nauseum. It was amazing to me that the employees didn't snap and start beating passersby with Madame Alexander dolls.

I was SHOCKED when we were at the Westchester Medical Center's Children's Hospital (for Tessa's tube surgery and adenoidectomy), and there was a tiny version of the clock (donated by FAO Schwarz....ummmm, thank you?) in the lobby. As we were imprisoned there for 5 hours waiting for her surgery, it was tortuous. Believe me, if there had been some information I could have divulged to make it stop, I would have.

But the clock is gone from the 5th Avenue store now. There was a major renovation last year, and the clock was removed from the main floor. Today it was replaced with a tremendous display of stuffed animals inspired by the Harry Potter books (Leila, you would have FREAKED!), including a huge dragon that cost $5,500. And I mean huge; it was like 10 feet tall.

But I gotta admit, I found myself sort of missing the earworm of "Welcome to our world of toys!"
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com