<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow Day

Actually it was an ice day. I was shocked to get a call from school (automated system; they don't call every house!) at 6:58 this morning saying that school was closed. It was supposed to be a half day for conferences, so I was sort of peeved that they would close school when it wasn't even snowing yet. Surely they could go to school till noon, thought I. Especially since I was planning to go to Costco! What about MY needs?

So we went to the mall this morning before the snow started. Tessa bought a $40 bear at Build-A-Bear ($14 for the bear, $25 for the accessories! I told her, I don't pay $25 for YOUR outfits!) and Matthew obliquely asked to stay for lunch. (He's so Japanese in many ways: "What are we doing now?", he asked after we left Gymboree. "I guess we're going home," I answered. "Oh, is there anything else we could do? What time is it?" "It's 11:30. Did you want to have lunch?" "Oh! That would be nice!")

When we left the mall, it had been snowing for awhile. We stopped at the grocery store, which was a madhouse (people stocking up before the snow? It's only one day of snow! Not like a blizzard on the prairie that will last for three months!). The snow turned to ice, hard little bits of ice pelting everything and everyone.

We got home and had to leave again in an hour for Matthew's therapy appointment. It was already getting treacherous on the streets. The therapist looked surprised to see us. "You made it!", she enthused. "We are intrepid," I answered.

The roads were really slushy and horrible as we were driving home. People were being good and only driving 10 or 15 miles an hour, but still, a taxi in front of us started sliding sideways, wheels spinning. Happy for AWD, me.

Afterwards, I thought about how accustomed to winter weather we've become, CA babies that we are. There's something really wrong with that.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com