<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fricking American Idol

I pay no attention to much of pop culture. I don't know what's going on with Brittany or Paris. I still am not totally clear on who Jessica Simpson is or why she became (in)famous. I don't care.

I have never watched American Idol. I recognize it as a cultural phenomenon that has spawned many imitators. That's the extent of my relationship with American Idol.

TILL NOW :p.  I had all my ebay auctions end on Tues. and Wed. night this week. A lot sold BIN, but many others had no bids or were around opening bid coming into their last day. Sometime last weekend, I found out that AI was premiering its new season on Tues., and I was a little perturbed, because it's standard ebay wisdom not to end on "big TV" nights. I wasn't too upset, though, because I've had plenty of auctions end on AI nights over the past few years. I mean, there are weeks when it's on practically every single weeknight, so it's hard to avoid at certain times. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference.

Well, I think the difference this time was that it was the season premiere, and with the writer's strike a lot of people have been starved for new TV. Because on Tuesday night, I literally received no bids while the show was on EST. Then my auctions ended. I can see maybe a little effect, but NO bids? Last night, I did receive bids, but very very few and my auctions did pretty crappy overall. I  had a couple of GORGEOUS outfits (like, complete with a sweater and hair accessories, in perfect condition) go for next to nothing. I'd say all of them went for less than they should have. Lots of auctions didn't sell at all, on both nights.

Someone told me that they saw some special on MSNBC talking about the effect of AI on ebay. They showed a graph of ebay sales, and there was this ENORMOUS dip in sales during the hours that AI was on. Crazy. It's obvious too, since ebay put up a listing special yesterday, offering 20 cent listing fees, to encourage people to list during the "dead zone" of AI.

I am so sad. I usually think of the money I make on Tessa's clothes as a "bonus," since she wore them and we enjoyed them. But this time I NEEDED the money :(. At least I can relist the things that didn't sell (NOT on AI nights!) and hope to do better.

I am just blown away that this stupid show (sorry Susanna, I know you used to be a big fan and possibly still are :)) still has such an impact!
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com