<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sibs

We agnostics don't talk too much about blessings. We're a bit uncomfortable when people tell us to have a blessed day (though I always say "thank you, you too"). I automatically say "bless you" to people when they sneeze, but it's just words. I could be saying "tofu" to them, and it would have the same level of meaning.

But I do say, often, that my one true blessing in life is how well my kids get along. I've seen so many siblings barely tolerate each other, or actively seek to do each other in on a regular basis (in between occasional acts and expression of unadulterated love and appreciation).

My kids rarely fight, and never REALLY fight beyond a bit of snapping and mild bickering (and the inevitable cries of "MOM!"). They have fun together. They hug and kiss and giggle together. They are each other's best friend.

Yesterday Matthew spent most of the 45 minutes of his therapy session trying to smack himself in the head. He got really agitated towards the end, and flung his head back into the couch, thunking it against the wooden frame. Later in the evening, he noticed that "there's something on my head." I told him it was probably a bump from when he whacked it on the couch.

Tessa asked, "What's wrong with Matthew's head?" and I explained he had hit it while he was upset and had a bump now. Wordlessly, she encircled his head with her arm and touched it to her cheek. The look on her face was sad and compassionate and so, so loving. Just that morning, she had been talking to me about a book I bought her, written by a girl whose brother is autistic. She commented on it by saying, "My life is kind of hard."

Both of their lives are hard, but they cherish each other, and that's the best thing in my life. My fondest wish is that they'll always have this bond, this love, each other.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com