<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Wiseguy

Or girl, in this case.

Tessa came and sat on my lap this evening, all 51 inches and 65 pounds of her, and I held her horizontally in my arms. Her head was cradled in the crook of my arm, just like it was when she was a baby, and I gazed down at her beautiful face.

I was overcome by my longing for her to be a baby again. "Don't grow up. Don't grow up. Please don't grow up," I breathed into her silky hair.

She sat up and chuckled at me. "Mom, it's the way of nature," she said.

Blown away as usual by her phrasing, I replied with chagrin, "I know. I know."

As if to console me, she said, "There are some things you just can't change." I know this, but not as well as she knows it. How did I give birth to someone so very much wiser than myself?
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com