<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Monday, December 15, 2008

One and a Half Centimeters

So I have this polyp in my uterus, that I just found out is one and a half centimeters long. That's pretty big as endometrial polyps go, apparently, as most measure in millimeters, like the size of a sesame seed. This is, what, the size of a jellybean? Why do we so often describe the size of strange objects in terms of foods? Is it bigger than a bread box? (Okay, that's not a food, but contains a food.)

Due to its size (?), my OB/GYN has decided to biopsy it first, then do another U/S, then do a hysteroscopy that may or may not include removal. Depending on a number of factors. I was not super stoked at the thought of removal (meaning a d&c), but for some reason the thought that it must be biopsied *first* is disconcerting. Is it more likely to be cancerous because it's measurable in centimeters rather than millimeters? I found myself unable to ask when I just had the doctor on the phone. I just made sure to remind her that I have a pain in the ass cervix, that may make the biopsy difficult. She assured me that if it didn't go easily, they'd go ahead and anesthetize me (locally, I'm assuming) to prevent me from suffering any pain. That's nice, I guess.

I'm trying hard not to think of one and a half centimeter time bombs, or one and a half centimeter pools of poison, or one and a half centimeter creatures with teeth and claws and bad attitudes, burrowing within.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com