<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Perspective

Yesterday we went to New Jersey for a birthday party (our friend, the dad, greeted us by saying, "Sorry to make you come involuntarily to New Jersey," to which I replied, "Is there any other way?"). As we were leaving, we were talking about going to CA, and the mom said, "You're so lucky, that your family is so close and you can go see them."

It was kind of a startling statement, since I think of them as so far away, and I lament how infrequently we get to see them. However, these friends are from the Philippines, which is a hell of a lot farther away than CA. They just had a second baby last month, and while the mom's mother came to stay with them and is still here, I could tell that my friend was very sad that the rest of her family can't see the new baby.

So I do bitch and moan about how expensive it is for us to fly to CA, and how hard it is to live without any family nearby whatsoever, but, as with all things, it could be worse.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com