<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Alone Again, Naturally

I'm all alone in the house, for the second time in 23 days. Other than Jan. 5, the first school and work day we were back from CA, I haven't been alone here since before we left for our trip.

Ross' knee feels great and he got the stitches out yesterday. As he said, the whole knee surgery was nothing compared to the flu he contracted right afterwards. He was sick as a dog most of last weekend and the beginning of this week. The irony is that this was the first year in a long time in which he'd gotten a flu shot. The last time he had the flu? You guessed it: the last time he had a flu shot. Sensing a pattern here... He did go back to work last Friday, but Tessa was home for Superintendent's Conference Day.

I was sure that I was going to be still not-alone today, since last night the forecast showed snow coming in after midnight and intensifying around 7:00 AM. The timing seemed to indicate that there was going to be snow on the roads during prime school bus hours, after it had fallen but before the plows could do their work. Matthew's school is particularly prone to canceling or delaying the day's start when that happens, since they have kids coming from all over the county.

So I got out of bed at 6:15 this morning to drive Ross to the train station (snow falling steadily and 10 degrees...THIS is the morning he decides to go back to work??) and checked the school closures page on the WCBS website. There were a number of schools showing 2 hour delays, and a couple of closures, but our school district was not listed, nor was Matthew's school. I kept checking, thinking maybe it was too early for them to have called it, but no. So off to school they went, after I had brushed the snow off the car to drive Tessa. Have I said lately how much I loooooooooooooove my car, my AWD Suburu that just backs right out over the ice and snow like it's nothing?

Once Matthew's bus had carried him away, I went back to bed. And I stayed there till 11:30, absolutely unable to get up. Now I've had coffee and am planning on cleaning the bathroom and running errands. Not exciting, but so much easier when there's no one here to complain about cleaner fumes or having to get out of the car at the grocery store. No one asking me to get them stuff. No one asking me to get off the computer.

Sometimes alone is pretty nice!
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com