<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Friday, January 30, 2009

Finally, The Answer:
It's Not Cancer!

I can't believe how long and drawn-out this process has been. As I said before, I have been waiting for over two weeks for my biopsy results. I kept thinking that that must mean it was negative, because if it had been positive wouldn't someone have gotten ahold of me? Unless (and I'm very good at finding low probability possibilities), the test results had come up scarily positive, and they wanted to test them again. Or they had to culture something, and that took longer, or the results had been inconclusive the first time.

Anyway, I went in last Monday to have a follow-up transvaginal ultrasound, which was so bizarre that I didn't even post about it at the time (since I was still waiting on the biopsy results, and figured I'd update the whole shebang together). The tech who did the U/S was obviously VERY new to the equipment, so it took forever and the tech observing her kept having to explain things, and step in and help (it's not good when someone has a big wand up your vagina, and says, "I don't understand what you want me to DO.")

Anyway, after a really really long time, they were done and I could sit up. I asked, "Could you give me the measurements on the polyp?" and the experienced tech said, "It's not there anymore."

Yes, that's right. It had performed some kind of vanishing act. She said that it was probably from getting bumped around during the biopsy, and then it must have passed out during my period. Very surreal, but okay. That's good, I guess. Actually I didn't know if it was good or indifferent, because I didn't know the biopsy results yet.

So this morning I got an email back from the doctor's office, saying that my ultrasound was normal. Ooookay, again, that's great, but what about the BIOPSY? I called again, left another message stating very explicitly that I had received the results of the ultrasound, but would really like to have the final word on the biopsy. A nurse just called a few minutes ago, so the all-clear klaxon can finally sound.

Whew. It's almost anti-climactic at this point. But now I do feel fully free to book our flight to CA over spring break in April. I had said it tongue-in-cheek, that we would go if I wasn't in chemotherapy, but I really had wanted to know for sure before I bought tickets. And thus the curtain draws on this thoroughly strange experience. Knock on wood that the next medical scare ends as nicely.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com