<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Thursday, February 05, 2009

What Next?

I have not posted since last week, because what do you say after "I don't have cancer!" Writing about funny things the kids say or how I'm really tired after a long weekend of preparing ebay auctions seems, well, trivial.

But most of life is mundane, by its very nature. So here's something funny Tessa said this morning :). She was talking about how there was a special celebration for Abraham Lincoln's birthday coming up, because he was going to be two thousand years old.

I said, "Um, two thousand years old?"

She realized she had made a mistake, so she corrected herself, "I meant, two million years old!"

I laughed and laughed and asked how a person could be two million years old. She sheepishly said, "I MEANT, two thousand years old!" I laughed some more and reminded her that she'd already said two thousand. Finally she said, "Oh! Two HUNDRED!"

She's such a brilliant girl, but number concept is not her strong point. She's the same way with time duration; it's very flexible for her. She'll say something happened a few months or weeks ago, that happened last week. She'll say that something happened a couple of days ago, that happened months ago. Is it the terms that confuse her, or is she just not that linear about time? As Janis Joplin said, it's all the same day, man.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com