<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Monday, March 02, 2009

Less than Three Weeks from Spring

And we've had this huge snowstorm! Welcome to climate change, I guess. I honestly can't tell right now if it's snowing again or the wind is just blowing snow around (fiercely, I might add), but it looks like a blizzard outside. Like how I envisioned blizzards when I was a little girl, reading the Little House on the Prairie books. Anyway, hellalotta snow.

I was sort of in denial about all the pronouncements about a Winter Storm Warning over the weekend. Yesterday we just had some flurries that later melted. But reports spoke of a lot of snow arriving overnight, that seemed to presage a Snow Day in the making for Monday. I just could not wrap my mind around a Snow Day in March, just weeks away from the official start of spring. Not that we have never experienced spring snow: when we lived in MA, Ross and Tessa made a big snowman on the first day of spring, and I had to take pictures to commemorate the occasion. Still, we haven't had anything like this since we moved to NY.

It was actually good that we ended up with a Snow Day today, since Matthew woke up at 1:30 and was still awake at 6:00. Thankfully he fell back asleep after that and didn't wake again till almost 10:00. I was up from 2:30 to 3:30 myself, as salt trucks and snow plows scraped and thudded their way past our house, again and again and again. I swear, trucks clomped by over a dozen times in half an hour. What the hell were they DOING?

It is beautiful, as fresh snow always is, but I'm still a little weirded out that it is here, in such voluminous amounts, so late in the season. Not to mention that tonight the low is supposed to be 12 degrees, RealFeel MINUS 12. I appreciate the symmetry of that, but that is just too damn cold.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com