<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Second Grade Recap

I'm cleaning out the corner of the dining room that houses the overflowing bin of artwork and other school-created memorabilia that the kids bring home. For years now I've just been tossing more and more things into the bin, or letting Tessa add more things to the bin. I do try and determine what "deserves" to be saved, since if I kept every scrap of paper that Tessa brought home from school, or created here at home, we would have been forced out onto the curb long, long ago. I do this culling surreptitiously, for Tessa is very attached to all of her creations, and more than once I have been busted when she found some masterpiece in the recycling.

But today I decided that I had to clear out the bin and put things into the kids' file boxes, which house the treasures deemed untossable, that must be kept for posterity. As I started, though, I realized that I first had to cull Tessa's file box a bit, because there are things in there that seemed to make the cut back in preschool, but now really are recognizable as lesser-tier.

But anyway, I found her writer's notebook from this past school year. The last entry is entitled "Second Grade Memories" and definitely deserves to be immortalized here on my blog:

"I had a great second grade. I had butterflies in my stomach on the first day. My class and I took many trips. My favorite was Seussical. I made a lot of new friends. My class and I were even parents! Our children were mealworms, which turned into darkling beetles. Sofia and I were partners. My class also wrote writing pieces. My favorite was the all-abouts. I wrote All About Prairie Dogs. I had a great school year and I hope next year is great, too."

See, I would have never remembered that they raised darkling beetles in second grade, and that apparently some of them were my grandchildren. Memorabilia is bulky, but irreplaceable.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com