<$BlogRSDURL$>

Standing on the East Coast, pointed toward California, and clicking my heels three times

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

On Friday, Matthew came home from school and handed me a plastic grocery bag. "Is that my Mother's Day present?," I asked. "Why don't you give it to me on Sunday?"

"I have to give it to you now, since there are parts of it that will rot," he replied. Well, who could resist that enticing lead-in :D?

He had made a lovely hand-painted flower pot, painted purple (Matthew's favorite color) and green (my favorite color :)), filled with a fruit bouquet. Skewers of strawberries, melon, and a flower-shaped piece of pineapple bloomed festively from the flower pot. There was also a green construction paper card, which read:

"Dear Mom,

you're the best mom ever, and I thank you for all you've done for me. I love you and I hope you have a happy mother's DAY.

Motherly
Outgoing
Tender
Helpful
Encouraging
Remarkable"

Talk about remarkable!

Tessa concealed her school-made gift, as well as the one she made for me at home, until Sunday morning. At school they had made fabric flowers, and she showed me how she had chosen different fabrics for each layer, with as many green fabric pieces as had been available. There was a pretty little hand-drawn card, that read:

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I made these flowers especially for you. I love you!"

She also made me a yarn and pom pom kitty, and a card with a ribbon and button flower. Again she wrote, "I love you" with lots of cursive Xs and Os.

I can't tell you how much I cherish this handmade Mother's Day gift period of our lives. I look to the future, which will no doubt include them sending me a card (perhaps a day or two late) and calling (if I'm lucky). Maybe I'll get flowers or something else purchased over the internet. But I'll still have these handmade expressions of love, paper and cloth and ribbon, that they put their whole hearts into as they made them.

I'm so lucky to be their mother.
|
free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com